A shattered mind in a broken body fighting for survival

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Perceptions of 1 Corinthians 13

While it wasn't a traditional sermon, I would like to share my thoughts given at my friends' wedding this weekend. The pastor used 1 Corinthians 13 as the basis for his message on love and marriage. Of course, this is a common passage for ceremonies of this nature, so it wasn't the novelty of the passage that drew my attention. Rather, it was, perhaps, simply hearing it again that simply drew my attention to the last verse in the chapter. "And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor. 13:13, NIV)
Taking the first sentence in conjunction with the second sentence, it seems that Paul has ordered these virtues based on their importance to the believer. And what struck me as interesting was that faith was last (well, first in the list, which would mean that it was relative to the least greatest). I understand that all three are essential qualities, but I feel like some believers put them out of order. In my experience, when someone goes through a difficult time, there are many Christians who will encourage this believer to "have more faith". My thought is, perhaps we should be encouraging him to have more love as well?

1 comment:

Emma Anne said...

Hmm...interesting point. Oddly enough, our sermon was on the same passage this morning, and it wasn't a wedding. As far as I know. I could have missed something.

Post a Comment