A shattered mind in a broken body fighting for survival

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Treatise on Laziness



Many people have called me lazy. A procrastinator. Irresponsible. Sadly, these are all true. I don't do all of my homework. Nor do I study for tests. I waste time sitting around in my room doing absolutely nothing. However, these accusations are only mostly true. In reality, while I spend a lot of time doing very little, it goes against my nature to tell a friend that I'm "too busy" to help them out or to hang out with them or whatever. It's a fundamental part of my personality. I hate letting a friend down. Many people like to keep themselves as busy as possible. In fact, I know a few people who literally have no free time. Anytime they find out a class is canceled or an assignment doesn't have to be done, they immediately try to fill the void in their schedule with other productive activities. Naturally they look at someone like me and think that I'm different. I have a lot of free time. I treasure free time. It keeps me sane. And it allows me to be on call most of the day. When friends are in need, I am ready to drop what I'm doing and lend as much aid as I can. Perhaps that makes me irresponsible. I focus more on people and less on academics.

~The Piebald Penguin