A shattered mind in a broken body fighting for survival

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Memoirs of an Insomniac

See what I did with the title there? It's almost like "Memoirs of a Geisha" ...

Except I'm not Japanese...or female...and I don't make any money. But it's almost the same thing!

Ok, not really. Although it does amuse me to analyze my own brain and the process that I go through to come up with stellar, awesome, total baller titles. Yep.

Anyways. Insomnia is no bueno (that's Spanish for good). However, last night I had a really enlightening thought while I was lying on my bed watching the clock tick away. That went something like this:

"Ugh. It sucks not being able to fall asleep. How can people just fall asleep on a whim? It's not fair. How do you fall asleep again? I think last night I might have been turned at such an angle, with such and such a feeling over my eyes, and... $&@! I give up. I'm just going to keep my eyes shut until something happens."

Usually when I'm having an especially difficult time drifting off, I try to remember how to "fall asleep". But that's part of the problem. Who remembers how to fall asleep? You kinda just close your eyes and pray that your body drifts away, right? I don't know. I've never been able to remember the exact moment that I experience a loss of consciousness. But back to my enlightening thought. I realized last night that I'm not "good" at falling asleep. Some people are. And they just do. But I'm really good at a lot of things. And I take those things for granted.

For example, the other day Goraxypox and I were chilling on the beach, when there was a little commotion behind us. We turned and saw a family with their eyes all fixed out to sea. Apparently a cruise ship and a ferry were getting "dangerously" close to running into each other. Of course, the ships were far off in the distance (isn't it amazing how the human eye can see for miles and miles?), so it only "appeared" to be a delicate situation. As I pointed out to my sidekick, the cruise ship was clearly way farther away than the ferry. I knew this because the cruise ship was obscured by the distance (you know, it's mostly a silhouette on the water, but you can still make out the shape); the ferry, on the other hand, was as clear as day, meaning that it was closer to us. Being that the ferry wasn't too terribly long, the conclusion must be that the ships are not really close to each other. Goraxypox was quick to point out that, to him, both ships were blurry and obscured due to the distance. He's a near-sighted nerd who broke his far-sighted glasses and hasn't replaced them. So he can't see as well as me.

My vision is just one of those things that I've taken for granted. People talk about how they can't even distinguish faces up close without corrective lenses and the like. But I've never experienced that. So, maybe it's just as frustrating for them to not be able to see, as it is for me to not be able to sleep. Fortunately, last night was relatively peaceful. I managed to fall asleep just before 5am, and I didn't wake up until 9:30! Woots!
I'm jealous...of the sleep, not the man...

~The Piebald Penguin